Last Updated on May 5, 2022 by Stone
Standup paddleboards are an excellent way to get deep into nature. You can explore a lazy river, a mountain lake, or an ocean coastline with ease. There are so many choices out and some are expensive⸺I spent over $1300 last summer on a hard paddleboard and I still had to buy all the accessories. Today I’m here to review a much cheaper option, my first standup paddleboard, which was an inflatable board by ROC. I bought it on Amazon and it came with everything to get started. They even sent an electric pump as a gift in exchange for an honest review on Amazon.
Roc Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board
- ROC made this paddleboard out of military-grade material resulting in a lightweight board that is both durable but half the cost of similar boards on the market.
- Everything you need to get out on the water comes with the board.
- Extra-wide design means that even an overweight 44-year old guy like me can get up on it and manage not to end up on the water.
- This board can be used in the ocean, lakes, and rivers. I have used it many times on the Willamette River that runs through Portland as well as both Haag and Detroit Lakes.
- Although it is lightweight (only 17.5 lbs/7.9 kg) it can support 350 lbs (159 kg).
- The board is 10 feet long by 33″ wide and 6″ thick.
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Over 5000 reviews on Amazon with 87% Five Star
What’s in the box?
The SUP will ship to you in a large heavy box. The kit includes:
- A Manual Pump that works surprisingly well.
- A lightweight aluminum paddle that breaks apart into 3 sections.
- Foot leash to keep you connected to the board if you fall off.
- Dry bag to keep belongings such as car keys or cell phone dry while you paddle.
- Detachable Fin.
- A backpack that everything (yes everything!) fits in⸺makes it easy to check in as luggage on a plane.
ROC Standup Paddle Board FAQs
How Stable is this Board? As I mentioned. I’m 44 and could stand to lose 30 lbs. I’m not the most flexible guy (trying to improve this with Yoga). However, I can get up and paddle around without any problems. I will add that because it is inflatable and lightweight, it does sit a bit higher on the water than a solid board, so don’t expect the same stability. You will notice that your legs get a nice workout as your muscles work to maintain your balance. Wobbles become noticeable if you use this board in a high traffic area with the wake generated by speed boats and jet skis. In calm water, it’s not an issue.
How Easy is it to inflate? The manual pump will take you 10-15 minutes to get it to the recommended pressure. I gave a review for the company on Amazon, and in exchange, they sent me an electric pump that will plug into your vehicle. It’s a loud pump, but it does the job. I have a truck to transport it to the water, so once I inflate it, I store it between uses on a rack I built on my fence until the season is over. Then I deflate it and store it in my garage for the winter. If you have a smaller vehicle, inflating and deflating it each time is not a big deal, adding 15-20 minutes to your excursion.
How Useful is the Backpack? The backpack does hold everything⸺which is nice. I even manage to store the extra electric pump ROC sent me in it. Fully packed, the pack will feel heavy and awkward, so you probably won’t want to hike 2 or 3 miles with it on your back. The backpack makes it effortless to check as luggage when flying and then fit in the trunk of whoever picks you up from the airport at your destination (unlike a solid board).
Is This ROC SUP Right for You?
Reasons to get this board:
- If you want to get into stand-up paddleboarding and spend only a fraction of what it would cost to get a solid SUP and all the gear, then this product is one you should check out.
- Hedge your bets. You might not even like paddleboarding, and if not, it would be super easy to sell this to someone else, especially with all the accessories included.
- This inflatable board is a no-brainer for someone with a small vehicle and/or little space at home to store it. Toss everything in the backpack and put it in a closet.
- You want to take it camping. It’s easier to take a deflated board that stows away in a backpack than it is to mess around with a solid board that you need a roof rack for.
- For plan trips, it’s easier to check a backpack than lug a solid board through the airport.
Reasons to spend more and get a larger solid board:
- If you are bigger like me without a great sense of balance and need as much stability as you can get. Get one that is long and wide with a rounded nose instead of a sharp nose (more for speed). The gains you will have in stability will be more than worth it as a speed boat roars by you with music blasting.
- You have a way to transport and store a solid board.
- You know that paddleboarding is your jam and something you will stick with. You can invest more now and have your board for life.
Need to do more Research? Check out these other great SUPs on Amazon.
I give the ROC Paddle Board kit 8 Stars. The board itself I rate as 4 stars. It gets the job done, but I prefer solid boards to inflatables. The Kit overall gets 8 stars because it truly comes with everything, the quality is high, and the cost is reasonable. Suppose you have never tried paddle boarding and want to buy one without making too much of an investment. Look no further than this Roc Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board.
Board itself ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Overall Kit ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
4 thoughts on “ROC Stand Up Paddle Board Review”
It was only a matter of time before inflatable paddle boards joined the paddler crowd as they did with Kayaks and canoes. I have nothing against inflatables and they are an excellent idea if your just starting out with this hobby. If you don’t keep at it then you won’t lose much on the resale.
If you do keep at it then probably you will move on to fiberglass, timber or have a custom one built. One thing I noticed in your review was you said it was 10 inches in length. I am sure you meant 10 feet.
Good catch. I’ll have to edit that!
I am excited to start using this stand up paddle board. I am thrilled to see how affordable it is. ROC SUP makes it possible for me to get into this sport because I was considering some time ago how much a normal SUP costs and the price ruled me out immedietly. Thank you for this post.
If you like this one, you can order right from my review 🙂